Saturday, July 1, 2017

A632.5.4.RB_HowProtectedAreYourProtectedValues_LouBeldotti


A632.5.4.RB

How Protected are Your Protected Values?


            I have always processed values that were passed on by how I was raised, who I associated with, and my own internal monologue.  I honestly never gave consideration that maybe some of these values were protected.  However, now that I think about it, I do, indeed, hold some values more sacred than others.

            According to Hoch et al (2001, pg. 251), “People often draw a line in the sand to create values that are protected from trade-offs.  These protected values (PVs) are considered absolute and inviolable.  Many of these values concern natural resources, such as species and pristine ecosystems, and health issues such as feeding the hungry and protecting children’s welfare.  People with these PVs do not think these values should be sacrificed for any compensating benefit, no matter how small the sacrifice or how large the benefit.  In other words, the values should be protected from the trade-offs.”  So, after reading this I had to ask, “Were my values created?”  I am going to say that they were developed.

            So, what are my protected values?  I had to do some deep thinking to really come up with the answer.  First, I am a veteran and patriot.  I served in the U.S. Army for a little over 27 years.  Because of this, my first two protected values are the love and respect for the American flag and my love of this country.  No one…I mean no one shows disrespect for that lovely red, white, and blue piece of fabric.  If they do, they have to deal with me.  To illustrate this, allow me to tell you a story.  In 2009, my major command was doing a mass-reenlistment on the steps of the National Archive in Washington, DC.  After the ceremony, two Soldiers were retiring the US Colors (ceremonial American Flag) and they allowed it to almost touch the ground.  I was across the street taking pictures when I observed this.  I took flight and crossed the street in a matter of seconds “dressing down” these to young knuckleheads verbally.  Since I was a very senior Soldier, they looked as though they were going to defecate in their pants.  I explained to them the importance of taking great care of the flag and to never…ever…ever…let it touch the ground.  I’m pretty sure my message was received loud and clear. 

            I also value family.  I use the same zeal, as I do with the flag, when dealing with those that wish to offend my loved ones.   I actually even apply this to my closest friend.  Offend them…offend me. 

            So, the pros of my passion only enhance my love of country, flag, family and friends.  The cons are the fact that I’ll split your lip if you disrespect the flag, my country, my family, and friends.  This could, in fact, cause me to get in trouble with the law or potentially get my butt kicked.  That’s the chance that I am more than willing to take. 

            Since I feel so strongly about these things, a step far beyond the bounds of decision-making and go into the realm of instinct. 

            Until this exercise, I had really never given thought to these protected values or my reaction.  However, even though I now see this, I will not change a thing.

Reference

Hoch, S.J., & Kunreuther, H. C., with Gunther, R.E. (2001). Wharton on decision making. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons


No comments:

Post a Comment