Tuesday, June 27, 2017

A632.2.3.RB_HowToMakeChoosingEasier_LouBeldotti


A632.2.3.RB

Sheena Iyengar: How to Make Choosing Easier


            In her video, Sheena Iyengar (2011) indicates that choice overload has the biggest effect on making decisions or choices.  I would have to completely agree.  It is always a conundrum when I go to stores such as Sam’s Club or World Market.  So many choices.  So many, choice, so little time!  Don’t get me wrong, I like choices.  However, I often spend hours in these stores and often buy very little.  But other times I come out spending entirely too much money.  When I go to these places I must bring my wife to keep me in check.  You see, I am an impulse buyer.

            As I see it, more is not better.  “More” often causes confusion.  I often have a hard time items that offer too many choices unless I know exactly what I want.  Things like jeans and canned tomatoes use to drive me nuts.  However, I now only by a certain brand and style of jeans and a certain brand of canned tomatoes regardless of the amount of choices around me.  According to Iyengar (2001), “Less is more”. She informs the viewer that too many choices cause the following: 
       
·         You are more likely to delay choosing.

·         You make worse choices.

·         You choose things that make you less satisfied.

            I get it.  Like I said earlier, I may come out of the store without anything or less than I intended, I may be caused to impulse buy, and I sometimes have “buyer’s remorse”.

            Iyengar (2001) then discusses for techniques to mitigate choice overload.  She first states that choices should be “cut”.  I believe that this applies more to the retailer but can be applied to the consumer.  The retailer should offer less choices. In Iyengar’s researcher, she describes improved sales and profits.  As a consumer, I should already have my mind set on what I want.  Just like the jeans and canned tomatoes. 

            Her next technique is “concretization”.  Make concrete decisions by have knowledge of the consequences associated with the choice.  As described in the first technique, I already have my mind solidly set on certain products.  An organization can also use this technique by only offering its employees certain benefits and not an endless buffet of options.  Things like retirement plans and health/dental options cost the company less and doesn’t confuse the employee. 

            Her next technique is categorization.  She informs the viewer that we can handle more categories than choices.  I am pretty sure that is why almost all grocery stores are organized in categories.  Just look at the aisle marques and you’ll understand.  Everything fresh or perishable is on the outer walls like the bakery, produce, and meats while everything else is aligned in aisles in the middle.  I am such a frequent food shopper that I can navigate a grocery store with my eyes closed.  I know the categories of the aisles…condiments…spices…pasta, rice, beans, and sauces and so on. 

            Her final technique is condition for complexity.  She informs the viewer that we can handle a lot more information than we think.  I agree.  Information is one thing but choices are another.  I would add that as consumers, we must have our choices in mind before making these decision by doing research.  The decision to buy a car, furniture, health insurance and more.  Our minds can handle the information, we just need to be ready to narrow down the choices.
           
Reference


Iyengar, S. (2011). How to making choosing easier. TED. [VIDEO FILE]. Retrieved from https://www.ted.com/talks/sheena_iyengar_choosing_what_to_choose

No comments:

Post a Comment