Saturday, March 4, 2017

A641.8.3.RB_PersonalBalanceSheet_LouBeldotti

A641.8.3.RB
Personal Balance Sheet

            It is often said that “you are your own worst critic”.  I will add that if you are narcissistic you can’t take criticism well and that, in itself, is a character flaw.  I must admit that I border on narcissism but do my best to keep in check.

            In the text, “Resonant Leadership”, the authors inform the reader that one must become aware of who they are now.  They must identify their “real self”.  “This is the next step in intentional change”.  “This is an important aspect of mindfulness and requires deep self-awareness and the willingness to be vulnerable” (Boyatzis & McKee, pg. 92, 2005).

            In this blog I have been asked to do the following:
Create a reflection blog that discusses your personal balance sheet that summarizes your assets and liabilities. Use the outputs from the exercises that you have completed in the course workbook and your reflections of those assessments as your guide. 

In the blog, discuss your assets:

    • My distinctive strengths (Things I know I do well and strengths that others see in me).
    • My potential Strengths (things I could do better or more often if I focused, or things I do well in some situations and could begin to apply more broadly).
    • My Enduring Dispositions that support me (traits, habits, behaviors that I do not want to change and that help me to be successful).
Discuss your liabilities:

    • My weaknesses (things I know I don’t do well and I want to do better).
    • Weaknesses I want to Change (things I know I don’t do well and want to change).
    • My enduring dispositions that sometimes get in my way (traits, habits, behaviors that I do not want to change and that sometimes cause me to be less effective).
(McKee, Boyatzis, & Johnston, pg. 150, 2008)

            Here goes…

DISTINCTIVE STRENGTHS                                           DO OTHERS SEE THIS IN ME?
I am an optimist and try to see good in everything                                       Yes
I am a critic thinker                                                                                        Yes
I am analytical                                                                                                Yes
I am logical                                                                                                    Yes
I am empathetic and sympathetic                                                                  Yes
I am organized at home and work                                                                  Yes
I am compassionate                                                                                        Yes
I am a forward thinker                                                                                    Yes
I have a great sense of humor                                                                         Yes
I am loyal                                                                                                        Yes
I perform well under pressure                                                                         Yes

            In chapter 8 of Resonant Leadership, Boyatzis and McKee lay out the importance of compassion in leadership.  They inform the reader that “Compassion is empathy and caring in action” (Boyatzis & McKee, pg. 178, 2005).  The entire chapter is peppered with words like understanding, willingness, social awareness, listening, competence, self-awareness (Boyatzis & McKee, chp. 8, 2005) and spoke volumes to me about my strengths and weaknesses.

MY POTENTIAL STRENGTHS

            I found this hard to answer.  Remember, I border on narcissistic.  I think I am a good listener but could do better.  I’m also patient but do reach my tipping point on occasion.  Because of my age (personal opinion), I feel I have wisdom but don’t capitalize on it.  I am very enthusiastic but when it comes to certain tasks I keep my enthusiasm in my pocket.  I am flexible but there are certain things that I will not bend on.  As a retired Soldier and now a JROTC Instructor, flexibility was and is used sparingly.  Soldiers and Cadets must be the flexible ones because of General Military Authority.  However, I could be more flexible with my Cadets because they are just children.  Finally, I am good at keeping records but I usual wait until things pile up.  They are neat piles but piles, none-the-less.  I have been pushing myself to file things as they are created.  It’s a work in progress.

MY ENDURING DISPOSITIONS THAT SUPPORT ME

            I am pretty content with who and how I am.  I have many traits, habits, and behaviors that I believe benefit me and enhance my strengths and potential strengths.  Here is my short list:

                        1.  Punctual – I am never late for work or an appointment.  If I am going somewhere to visit someone, I arrive at the prescribed time.
                        2.  Sociable – I get along well with whomever I meet.  I have never met a stranger.
                        3.  Articulate – I am well versed in the English language and have the gift of gab.
                        4.  Confident – I am very sure of my abilities.
                        5.  Energetic – I am always filled with energy and am up for any challenge.
                        6.  Humorous – I put “funny” into everything.  I am usually the one who will make people laugh in any situation.
                        7.  Perfectionist – Some may consider this a fault or a weakness.  Not me.  It has worked well for me over the years. 
                        8.  Accessible – I am very approachable.  In my current profession as a school teacher, my students know that they have unfettered access to me regardless of the situation.

MY WEAKNESSES

            I have weaknesses.  Sometimes I come off as rude.  It is not with malicious intent and I am sure it has a lot to do with my military experience.  Also stemming from my military experience is my level of strictness.  I am loosening up a bit these days though.  O.C.D. (self-diagnosed) has been a weakness of mine for years.  I am a firm believer that “every place has its thing and every thing has its place”.  I notice when things have been moved and I move them back.  However, it’s not the type of problem that has me flipping a light switch off and on fifteen times every time I enter a room.  I procrastinate on certain things.  I have a tendency to put unpleasant things off until the last minute.  I am pretty sure this is human nature.  Finally, I am overly forgiving.  However, I am not a pushover nor do I allow people to walk over me but I am quick to forgive, even if I know the individual did do something wrong.  I am sure that I have other weaknesses but these are the ones that are most prominent.
 
WEAKNESSES I WANT TO CHANGE

            This is a no brainer.  All of them, of course.  So, how do I change?  According to Minda Zetlin, there are six things that must be done to change weaknesses into strengths.
            1.  Recognize and accept your weaknesses.
            2.  Get guidance from someone you trust.
            3.  Be very prepared.
            4.  Hire the skills you lack. 
            5.  Get just good enough.
            6.  Look for ways to serve others with the same problem.
(Zetlin, n.d.)
            As a school teacher, I agree with five of these six things.  I am in no position to hire someone with the skills that I lack.  I am just going to have to overcome.

MY ENDURING DISPOSITIONS THAT SOMETIMES GET IN MY WAY

            My procrastination and over forgiveness are probably my biggest obstacles.  These things affect both my work and my home life. 
            An example of my procrastination just occurred.  It has been cooler in Florida over the past couple of months.  Because of the cool weather, I have been putting off maintaining my pool.  Each week, I would say that “I will do it this weekend” and the weekend passes and then I say “I’ll do it next weekend”.  This has gone on until yesterday when my pool started to look like the Chicago River on Saint Patrick’s Day.  My procrastination cost my $103 at the pool store to right my wrong.  All is well with the pool today but cost me labor, time and money.
            Over forgiveness is problematic because some of my Cadets believe that they can get away with just about anything.  I am of the opinion that my Cadets say and think, “I can do this or not do that and Master Sergeant will just let it slide”.  I have been working really hard at overcoming this.
            Finally, I feel that my strengths outweigh my weaknesses.  However, my weaknesses must be addressed.  This is something that I am working on and will continue to work on to perpetuity. 
            This exercise has been really eye opening.  Gentle reader, I would recommend that you give it a try!

References

Boyatzis, R. and McKee, A. (2005). Resonant leadership.  Boston, MA: Harvard Business Press

McKee, A., Boyatzis, R., and Johnston, F. (2008). Becoming a resonant leader.  Boston, MA: Harvard Business Press


Zetlin, M. (n.d.). How the most effective leaders turn weaknesses into strengths.  Retrieved from http://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/how-the-most-effective-leaders-turn-weaknesses-into-strengths.html

No comments:

Post a Comment