Thursday, March 9, 2017

A641.9.3.RB_BecomingAResonantLeader_LouBeldotti

A641.9.3.RB
Becoming a resonant leader


            In this blog I have been asked to now begin to turn my desires from awareness into action by composing a reflection blog in the form of a letter to myself. In the letter, I briefly state my personal vision and list at least three learning goals, three milestones for each goal, actions steps for each milestone, and list key people who will support me to achieve the learning goals.

            I learned a lot about myself in the exercises found in chapter 6 of “Becoming a resonant leader” (McKee, Boyatzis, & Johnston, chp. 6, 2008) and throughout the entire text.  The first exercise entitled, “My Planning Style”, I discovered that I was equally “Goal Oriented” and “Action Oriented” (McKee, Boyatzis, & Johnston, pgs. 156 – 157, 2008).  According to Annie McKee, “Goal-Oriented planners tend to focus on very specific goals and outcomes, which are not always tied to the pursuit of a dream or fulfilling a mission” and conversely, “Action- Oriented planners live largely in the moment, foregoing deep thoughts about the future and long-term planning” (McKee, Boyatzis, & Johnston, pg. 154, 2008).  This outcome came as a huge surprise to me.  When I served in the Army I was definitely mission oriented.  Obviously I have over the last seven years.

            I chose mostly military leaders to be on my “Personal Board of Directors” (McKee, Boyatzis, & Johnston, pg. 160, 2008).  My choices are H. Norman Schwarzkopf, Colin Powell, my former Drill Sergeant Walter Gaylord, my former boss and friend Gary Schoolfield, my former guitar teacher Larry Cole, and my former Pastor Terry Knighten.  Schwarzkopf and Powell were great tacticians.  These great leaders led hundreds of thousands of Soldiers safely through many conflicts.  Gaylord created the Soldier I would become.  Schoolfield was my voice of reason and stability.  Finally, Knighten woke up my spirituality.  All of these men impacted who I am today.

            You are never too old to learn.  I have learned plenty will completing exercise in the “Becoming a resonant leader” text (McKee, Boyatzis, & Johnson, 2008).  In chapter 1, I was able to reflect on who helped me become who I am, as a resonant leader, over the years.  In chapter 2, I was able to identify who I lead and who I led, identify my beliefs, identify the traits of a good and bad leader including those that I have met, understand and identify my feelings, and decide whether or not I was a resonant leader.  In chapter 3, I was enabled to take a personal inventory, evaluate my mindfulness, find balance, evaluate my desire for intentional change, how I cope with pressures and problems, and identify my wake-up calls for change.  In chapter 4, I was enabled to discover and identify my noble purpose, create my bucket list, think about my ideal life, think about what my life would be like in twenty years, think about my fantasy job, identify my dreams and aspirations, identify the major themes in my dreams, identify my legacy, identify my passion, discover my calling, think about what people would say about me at my funeral, lay out my values, and create my personal vision.  In chapter 5, I was able to answer the question, “How did I get here?”, evaluating the rhythms of career, reviewing the transitions in my life and work, identifying my social identities and roles along with realizing my social web, identifying my strengths and weaknesses, and create a personal balance sheet.  In chapter 6, I was able to identify my planning styles, think about who I wanted to be on my personal board of directors, identify my learning edge, and think about my learning goals (McKee, Boyatzis, & Johnson, 2008).  There is more to learn from this text and its exercises.  I will continue to use it as I develop.      
   
Dear Lou,

            In the late 1970s and early 80s, you wanted to be a doctor because of the people in your family that died from cancer. You had set a learning goal of going to medical school and graduating by the time you were 30 but things in your life changed and you never achieved this goal.

            You joined the Army out of necessity.  You saw enlisting as a way to get money for college so that you could fulfill your vision of becoming a doctor.  However, after four years, you decided to make the Army a career.  You spent over twenty-seven years in uniform. 

            So, what is your vision now?  It has changed many times since you retired from the Army.  You have now set your eyes on completing seven years in Volusia County Schools and retiring.  That goal is still five years away but is well in your grasp.  Upon retirement you have stated that you want to move to the Florida Keys and open a restaurant.   

            You have achieved most of your educational goals before you retired from the Army.  However, a little over a year ago, you decided to go back to school and pursue a Master’s Degree in Leadership.  Each module in the classes are milestones that take nine weeks to reach.  There are nine modules per class.  You planned on attacking each module head on completing each module as early as possible. You intend on graduating, Summa Cum Laude, in September of 2017.

            You have consider fulfilling some of the items on your bucket list.  Besides all the traveling that you want to do, you have decided that running in a marathon and flying an airplane are attainable in the near future.

            You have run in four consecutive Army 10-milers in Washington, D.C. and know how to train for that.  A marathon is over two and a half times that distance.  Your plan is to train over the course of a year broken down into quarters.  First quarter, you will train three days a week achieving at least seven miles per training day.  Second quarter, you will train four days a week achieving at least ten miles per training day.  Third quarter, you will train five days a week achieving at least fifteen miles per training day.  Finally, fourth quarter will be staged over a three month period.  Week one will find you running five days per week achieving seventeen miles per training week.  Week two will find you running five days per week achieving twenty miles per training day.  Week three will find you running four days per week achieving 23 miles per training day.  Finally, week four will find you running two days per week achieving 26.2 miles per training day.

            To achieve your flying a plain goal, you will research where, when, and how to take flying lessons.  Once you have found the right program for you, you will establish a time-line.  Your goal is to solo within eight months of starting.  You will commit at least three days a week to your training.  You will also commit at least five hours per week to study for this achievement.

            Your board of directors will help you achieve your goals.  Generals Schwarzkopf and Powell will help you be technically proficient.  DS Gaylord will help you maintain your discipline.  SGM Schoolfield will assist you in staying grounded and keeping your cool.  Finally, Pastor Knighten will keep you spiritually grounded and calm so that you can achieve your goals.

            I have faith in you!  I know that you will fulfill and succeed at everything you set your mind to.

Sincerely,

You

            Becoming a resonant leader just takes opening your mind and a desire to change. According to the Teleos Leadership institute, “Resonant leaders use emotional and social intelligence skills to renew themselves, create positive relationships, and foster a healthy, vibrant environment to engage others toward a common goal. They do this through mindfulness, hope and compassion.” (Teleos Leadership Institute, 2017).

References

McKee, A., Boyatzis, R., and Johnston, F. (2008). Becoming a resonant leader.  Boston, MA: Harvard Business Press

Teleos Leadership Institute, (2017). Resonant leadership. Retrieved from             http://www.teleosleaders.com/howwedoit/resonant.php
             


No comments:

Post a Comment