Sunday, February 5, 2017

A641.4.3.RB_Tipping Points of Emotional Intelligence_LouBeldotti

A641.4.3.RB
Tipping Points of Emotional Intelligence


                Have you ever been frazzled?  Some say that they are losing their mind.  Some just shut down.  There seems to be a tipping point for everyone. 

            I usually brood when I have hit my limit.  I don’t want to hear you, see you, or interact with you.  JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!  However, as a school teacher, I must stay engaged.

In this reflection blog, I am asked to share instances where I have experienced a tipping point at work.

  • What was the situation?
  • What did you do?
  • What was the result?
  • What would you do differently?
            I’m an educator.  I teach children to be better citizens.  It is never easy.  Stressors are ever present.

            There are so many stressors.  I believe that certain stresses can cause certain responses.  According to Terry Schmitz, “The concept of emotional intelligence is forcing our educational establishments to re-think what is important for achieving success.  No longer are the traditional academic skills king.  The practicality and realistic value of social emotional skills are far more important to success later on in life, and our school systems must recognize this.
We now have a better understanding of how individuals learn to manage their behavior and achieve success.  Here are five basic truths about emotional intelligence and achievement.

  1. EQ is the single most important variable in learning to manage one’s behaviors and success.
  2. EQ is a learned ability that requires a systematic experience-based approach to learning.
  3. Schools and colleges do not currently provide a systematic-based model to learn EQ.
  4. Learning EQ requires an intentional, active, learner-centered approach involving self-directed teaching, coaching, mentoring and constant visualization.
  5. EQ consists of specific skills, behaviors and attitudes that can be assessed and taught.
Source:  Low, Gary and Nelson, Darwin.  Emotional Intelligence – Achieving Academic and Career Excellence, Denver, Prentice Hall, 2002.

These five concepts are the foundation for a tipping point in our education system.  We know that we can and should educate individuals on how to change behaviors to produce success.” (Schmitz, 2011)

            I try to use EQ every day in my job as a teacher.  However, I do occasionally hit that wall.  I do not exactly agree with Schmitz.  I always challenge my students to use emotional intelligence.  I try to push these kids to look at the positive.  According to Boyatzis, “We need to oversample. We need to over emphasize the positive emotional attractor.” (Boyatzis, 2013).  That is what I strive for.  I analyze all of my Cadets.  This helps me to provide assistance, not for a single individual but for the entire group.

            There always seems to be a positive result from this practice. I wouldn’t change a thing.

References

Schmitz, T. (2011, June 6). Emotional Intelligence: The Tipping Point. Retrieved from https://www.conovercompany.com/emotional-intelligence-the-tipping-point/

Boyatzis, R. (2013, September 11). Module 2 The Positive PEA) and Negative (NEA) Videos. [Video File]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=197x4dmuug8&feature=youtu.be



           


No comments:

Post a Comment