Sunday, January 29, 2017

A641.3.3.RB_WorkingWithEI:GettingResults!_LouBeldotti

A641.3.3.RB
Working with EI: Getting Results!


            Some of us wear compassion as a war wound.  Some even use it as a defense and others as an offense.

            Look, I’m compassionate to fault.  It is equally my weak point as it is my strong point. 

            I remember, as a child, crying when I watched things like “Snoopy come home” and many of the “ABC After School Specials”.   Now that I reflect…this compassion was more like empathy.
 
            I cried when my Golden Retriever, Ginger, died at the age of seven, after a walk.  I pined for at least four days.  I cried when my brother died of cancer at the age of 34, and still cry today. I cried when my grandmother died at age 89, I miss her.  I cried when Mary Tyler Moore died…she was part of my entire life.  I’m watching Forrest Gump, as a type this, and have to wipe tears away. 

            Funny.  Today, someone made one of those ridiculous comments on social media and I got sucked in.  I tried to wax intelligently but kept facing obvious negativity.  Yes, religion was involved.  Finally, I began to use compassion and was told that I was being disrespectful.  I tried to use EI but was fought, key stroke by key stroke.  Ha!  I had to chuckle. 

            According to Goleman, “Emotional intelligence refers to how well we handle ourselves and our relationships.  The 4 domains.  Self-awareness, knowing what we're feeling, why we're feeling it, which is a basis of, for example, good intuition, good decision-making. Also, it's a moral compass.

            Say, in part, is self-management, which means handling your distressing emotions in effective ways so that they don't cripple you, they don't get in the way of what you're doing, and yet, attuning them... to them when you need to so that you learn what you must.  Every emotion has a function. Also, [marshalling] positive emotions, getting ourselves, you know, involved, enthused about what we're doing, aligning our actions with our passions.

            The third is empathy, knowing what someone else is feeling. And the fourth is putting that altogether in skilled relationship.  So that's what I mean by emotional intelligence.

            There're many definitions out there. The part of the brain, it turns out, that supports emotional and social intelligence is actually the last circuitry of the brain to become anatomically mature.  And because the neuroplasticity of the brain shapes itself according to repeated experiences, so my argument is, hey, we should be teaching kids regularly overtime, in a systematic way, self-awareness, self-management, empathy, and social skill. In fact, there, now, enough programs and they've been around enough in schools that they're about to publish a huge meta-analysis, looking at hundreds of schools and kids that had the program versus those that don't. Guess what? All anti-social behavior, you know, disruption in class, find that... it goes down 10%. Pro-social behavior, liking school, well-behave, up 10%. Academic achievement scores, up 11%. So it really pays. Executive function, which is mediated by the prefrontal lobe, both helps you manage your emotions and helps you pay attention. So as kids learn these skills, they also learn learning... basic learning skills. I think that the fact that that was an argument was one thing that caught people's attention. Then, there was a little chapter on... called managing with heart, which argued that leaders who were sons of a bitch were actually defeating the company's own mission. And I think that made a lot of people happy because they work for people like that. I don't know... Some people gave it to other people because they thought they needed help in this domain.” (Goleman, 2012)

            I love this guy!  Dan Goleman is so on point.  He sees it crystal clear. 

            So, am I self-aware?  Pretty sure that I am, and this is why.  According to Pathway to Happiness, “Self Awareness is having a clear perception of your personality, including strengths, weaknesses, thoughts, beliefs, motivation, and emotions. Self Awareness allows you to understand other people, how they perceive you, your attitude and your responses to them in the moment.
We might quickly assume that we are self aware, but it is helpful to have a relative scale for awareness. If you have ever been in an auto accident you may have experienced everything happening in slow motion and noticed details of your thought process and the event. This is a state of heightened awareness. With practice we can learn to engage these types of heightened states and see new opportunities for interpretations in our thoughts, emotions, and conversations. Having awareness creates the opportunity to make changes in behavior and beliefs.” (Pathway to Happiness, n.d.)

            As a high school teacher, I need to self-manage.  It is an absolute must.  According to Morning Star, “Self-Management brings organizational structure to an enterprise spontaneously.  Individual Colleagues, directed by their Personal Commercial Mission, are principally responsible for organizing their relationships.  Their Personal Commercial Mission is their "boss."  The managerial functions of planning, organizing, staffing, directing and controlling are the personal responsibility of each Colleague
.
Self-Management is an alternative to the traditional, hierarchical method of organizing we see most often in modern organizations. There are a few key ideas that are central to the Self-Management philosophy, namely that:

  • People are generally happier when they have control over their own life (and work)
  • It doesn't make a lot of sense to give the decision-making authority to the person that furthest (literally) away from the actual work being done
  • When you give good people more responsibility, they tend to flourish
  • The traditional hierarchical model of organizations is not scalable—in fact, it's a recipe for a slow painful death
  • There's an undeniable link between freedom and economic prosperity in nations around the world—and, further, an undeniable link between lack of freedom and corruption at the national level.  The same is true of human organizations in general.”  (Morning Star, n.d.)
            Yes, I am happier not being lorded over by an administrator.  I love having my freedom to teach. 

            After 27 years as a leader in the Army, I honestly do not need to be managed.  I feel that those in my administration understand this and have a “hands-off” approach to me and my classroom.

            Now on to social awareness.   I am definitely a social butterfly.  But this is not about entertaining.  According to Change Management Coach, “Social awareness gives you the ability to understand and respond to the needs of others.  This is the third of the domains of emotional intelligence proposed by Daniel Goleman.  According to Daniel Goleman the competencies associated with being socially aware are:

  • Empathy: understanding the other person’s emotions, needs and concerns.
  • Organizational Awareness: the ability to understand the politics within an organization and how these affect the people working in them.
  • Service: the ability to understand and meet the needs of clients and customers.
Awareness of social situations means you carefully consider what people want, and plan to communicate with them in a way that is intended to meet that need.
Is this the same as manipulation? I'm not sure.

Great leaders and public speakers are skilled in this ability. It helps them build support.”

            I am what psych babble refers to as Type-A.  I am out-spoken.  I am not shy.  I speak my mind.  I am funny.  I am good with crowds.  So, am I socially aware?  Probably.

            Finally, there is social skills.  This, in itself, reminds of a line in the movie, “Water Boy”, starring Adam Sandler.  There is a scene where Adam Sandler’s mom, played by Kathy Bates, states, “You don’t have what they call the social skills” referring to her son, Bobby Boucher’s, ineptness.  However, Bobby does have what it takes to be super social.  Although I am nothing like Bobby Boucher, I am just as social.  According to, Skills You Need, “Social skills are the skills we use to communicate and interact with each other, both verbally and non-verbally, through gestures, body language and our personal appearance.

Human beings are sociable creatures and we have developed many ways to communicate our messages, thoughts and feelings with others.”  (Skills You Need, n.d.)

References

Goleman, D. (2012, April 23). Daniel Goleman Introduces Emotional Intelligence. [Video File]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7m9eNoB3NU

Pathway to Happiness. (n.d.). Self Awareness. Retrieved from http://www.pathwaytohappiness.com/self-awareness.htm

Morning Star: Self-management Institute. (n.d.). WHAT IS SELF-MANAGEMENT? Retrieved from http://www.self-managementinstitute.org/about/what-is-self-management

Change Management Coach. (n.d.). Social Awareness. Retrieved from http://www.change-management-coach.com/social-awareness.html


Skills You Need. (n.d.). What are Social Skills? Retrieved from https://www.skillsyouneed.com/ips/social-skills.html

No comments:

Post a Comment