Sunday, January 15, 2017

A641.1.3.RB_WhatIsGreatLeadership_LouBeldotti

A641.1.3.RB
What is great leadership?

I have been asked to view "What is Great Leadership" by Dr. Richard Boyatzis. Dr. Boyatzis explains the impact most effective leaders can have on you. I have also been asked to stop the video when he asks me to complete his exercise. I have been asked to complete the exercise and then watch the rest of the video. Finally, I have been asked to write up my results as a reflection blog. 

            In a 27-year Army career, I have met and have been led by many ‘leaders”.  Some have taught me great things to add to my leadership tool box while others have taught me things that I will absolutely never do.  We always use to refer to the latter as “toxic leadership”.  This type of leadership usually would come from the self-centered individual who was trying to create a name for him or herself.

            There was also the inept leader.  This person had been promoted, for some bazaar reason, and would try to take charge.  However, this person would always call upon the existing personnel to help him or her make decisions. 

            In Dr. Boyatzis’ video, he states, “You don’t convince people of things through rational argument”.  (Boyatzis, n.d.). I completely agree.  Many are driven through personal conviction and emotions.  Boyatzis contrasts the rational against emotional, speaks of value added, relationships between the leader and the led and how antiquated top-down leadership is ineffective in the military and civilian leadership.

            I did the contrast leadership exercise.  I will not use names, but it is below:

Leader A                                                                     Leader B
Let’s do this!                                                               I don’t know
I see it this way.                                                          What should we do?
This is what needs to happen.                                     Can we make it work?

            This is what these leaders asked/said.  I was motivated by leader A and rolled my eyes with leader B.  This guy was what I would categorize as an inept leader.  He had no leadership skills, what so ever, and those of us, under his “leadership”, would accomplish the task and he would take the credit.

            Unfortunately, that’s the Army way.  The “smartest guy in the room” is not always the actual leader.  Sometimes it’s a group of subordinates that makes it all happen without input from the formal leader.

            I’m reminded of the inept Platoon Leader in Band of Brothers who always had to go to the Battalion Headquarters when something needed to happen.  I’m sure that these inept leaders did something right to achieve their rank but something got lost along the way.

            In closing, I was thumbing through Boyatzis’ and McKee’s text (Boyatzis & McKee, 2005), “Resonant Leadership” and found notes from a former student.  In chapter 4, he or she made the following notes, “the military field grade lobotomy” and “aka…undoing my field grade lobotomy”.  This gave me a chuckle.  I always would remark that the field grade officers that I worked for must have had a lobotomy because they were out of touch with reality and had forgotten where they had come from.

References

Boyatzis, R. (n.d.). What is great leadership? Inspiring leadership through emotional intelligence. [Video File]. Provided.


Boyatzis, R. and McKee, A. (2005). Resonant Leadership. Harvard Business School Press: Boston, MA

No comments:

Post a Comment