Sunday, April 2, 2017

A634.2.4.RB_Theories of Ethics_LouBeldotti



(MyKomms.com, 2017)

In Chapter 2, LaFollette (2007) discusses Consequentialism and Deontology. Discuss your thoughts on these two theories.

            According to LaFollette, “Consequentialists claim that we are morally obligated to act in ways that produce the best consequences.  It is not difficult to see why this is an appealing theory.  It employs the same style of reasoning we use in making purely prudential (wise, self-interested) decisions” (LaFollette, pg. 23, 2007).

            As a child, I had to learn about consequences for good and bad behavior.  The consequences were taught to me by my parents and teachers.  I quickly learned through corporal punishment the consequences of my wrong actions like writing on the walls, cutting my brother’s hair or catching my mattress on fire with a hot plate.  I learned other consequences through trial and error like sticking a butter knife into an electrical outlet, eating my first hot pepper, and cutting my hand with a razor blade.  So, what about good consequences for good behavior?  As a child, being rewarded reinforced good behavior.  Doing household chores like cleaning my room was rewarded with a monetary allowance.  Getting good grades in school was also rewarded with money.  Did I learn about morals in these situations?  Not so much.  However, these were lessons that taught me right and wrong along with good or bad.

            So, do we make decisions regarding our behavior based on a determined value or weight of a consequence?  LaFollette believes so.  According to LaFollette, “The consequentialist needs to know not only which consequences count, but also how much each counts.  A consequences weight is the product of the nature of the interests it affects, the number of interests affected, and their respective probabilities” (LaFollette, pg. 26, 2007).  LaFollette also indicates that the nature of the consequence is a determining factor of the weight of the consequence. 

            My morals are pretty well established.  However, I can understand the importance of weight.  I know it is illegal to steal.  But if my children were starving and I had no money, I may consider stealing.  If I had plenty of money and still stole to feed my family, the weight would be different even though the consequences would still be the same but my moral deliberation would be completely different.  In both situations, my family would be fed and happier.  LaFollette describes this as “Utilitarianism”.  However, the consequences of my actions would then cause unhappiness if I were sent to jail…like a double edge sword.  But does the end really justify the means?  It depends on the situation in my opinion. 

            Now back to my childhood.  As most children do, I lived in a world of “don’t do this” and “don’t do that”.  “Don’t run with scissors…you might put an eye out!”, “Don’t sit too close to the TV, it will ruin your eye sight!”, “Don’t eat too much or you’ll bet a belly ache!”, “Candy will rot your teeth!”, “Coffee will stunt your growth!”, “Don’t touch that!”.  So, if I ate candy, was I being immoral?  I thought so, plus I didn’t want to make Mommy and Daddy mad or have rotten teeth.  LaFollette describes this as “Deontology” (LaFollette, pg. 24, 2007). 

            I found consequentialism and deontology slightly similar…both have their nucleus as the knowledge of the difference between right and wrong.  However, LaFollette states, “Many consequentialists think their theory also permits – or even requires – moral rules: it is generally better if everyone follows the same rules than if they decide for themselves what is moral…Deontologist contend there are strict moral limits on what we can do to others.  Consequentialists do not.  That is the source of the most common objection to consequentialism: that if we consider only consequences, then we will eventually – and perhaps often – act immorally (LaFollette, pg. 24, 2007)”.

            At the end of the day, morality takes center stage.  However, I believe morality is subjective.  This is based on where we are from and who we are raised by regardless of age. 

            Enjoy this argument!

References

MyKomms.com. (2017). Consequentialism vs. deontology. Retrieved from https://www.mykomms.com/university/part-detail/consequentialist-or-deontological-justification~53wcDXK7qMSFQC0_p3Bj_Aq0oESxDN2EHWFFNq5UxhM?level=

LaFollette, H. (2007). The practice of ethics.  Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing



No comments:

Post a Comment